Re: introductory astrophysics text?

introductory astrophysics text are:

"Thomas L. Swihart, QUANTITATIVE ASTRONOMY: Topics in Astrophysics
(Prentice Hall, 1992) --- under 300 pages and quite lively indeed!"

"Dale A. Ostlie and Bradley W. Carroll, AN INTRODUCTION TO MODERN
STELLAR ASTROPHYSICS (Addison-Wesley, 1996) --- about 750 pages but
very nicely done and at the right level)"

"... The one book I
really like for a course at your level (or even higher - it's
adjustable - is Frank Shu's "The Physical Universe". It is more than
ten years old, however, ..."

Margaret,
Regarding your message to phys-l:

Subject: introductory astrophysics text?
Could anyone with any suggestions please reply directly to me, to
avoid cluttering the list?

Would you post the results to the list; I would be interested in the
suggestions. Thank you.

Steven T. Ratliff
Associate Professor of Physics
Northwestern College
3003 Snelling Av. N.
Saint Paul, MN 55113-1598

Internet: stratliff@nwc.edu (or str@nwc.edu)

Dr. Margaret Mazzolini
School of Biophysical Sciences and Electrical Engineering
Swinburne University of Technology
P.O. Box 218,
Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
email: mmazzolini@swin.edu.au
phone: (61 3) 9214 8084 fax: (61 3) 9819 0856