stroboscopic eyes

Ke Fox kfox@shhs1.smoky.org wrote:
.... seeing wagon wheels in movies seeming to roll backwards. Students
maintain that they have seen this in cars with naked eye. I don't inderstand
the mechanism of how that would happen, yet in retrospect, I think I have
seen it, too. Any ideas?

Seeing this with the naked eye * in a movie * is not surprising. Suppose
the movie has 25 frames per second and a wheel makes exactly one or two
spokes during 1/25 sec. In that case the wheel will appear as not turning. At
a slightly slower speed the wheel will appear to turn backwadrs. In this case
the camera acts as a strobe. I do not believe that a naked eye without a
device of some kind can produce the stroboscopic effect. Ludwik.