stoboscopic eyes

An idea for Tuesdays discussions at DAPT?

Looking at a ripple tank and introducing using a stobe to determine
frequency, the discussion went to seeing wagon wheels in movies seeming to
roll backwards. Students maintain that they have seen this in cars with
naked eye. I don't inderstand the mechanism of how that would happen, yet I
in retrospect, I think I have seen it, too. Any ideas?

Ken Fox Physics stimulates the
Smoky Hill High School Imagination!
16100 Smoky Hill Rd
Aurora,CO.80015