Red Eye Domino Picture Avaiable

Hi Physics Phriends !

Am I cracking up. I don't think I received a Phys-l digest for Wednesday,
Jan. 22. I don't think I accidentally deleted it since I checked the trash
and didn't find it there.

Also, I thought I had posted the info below about the "red eye" domino
picture now being available for the curious but I didn't find it on today's
Phys-l digest. So here it is (again?). It was successfully posted on
Physhare and I've had several responses.

*************************************
Hi Physics Phriends !!

To conclude our discussion of the red eye in the photograph of the domino
mosaic of Einstein, I can now follow up on Matt Tuley's request:

I would love to see this picture, as would many of us I'm sure.

You can access this picture at the following www address:

http://home.earthlink.net/~wensu/thiessen.JPG

OR if you will send me a private e-mail, I can send you either the
EINSTEIN.TIF file or the EINSTEIN.JPG file, both of which I can open with
GraphicConverter 2.0.7 (US)

The red eye in the photograph is clearly visible. This will also answer
those questions about exactly what is a domino mosaic.

The credit for all of the above goes to one of my Honors Physics student
whose name is Wen Yu Su who did it for "phun" since he is too good of a
student to need extra credit.

The mapping for the domino mosaic is still available if you will simply
send me a stamped self-address envelope. My copy is basically hand drawn
and written and was passed out at a Physics NW physics teacher sharing
meeting by John Lewis of Glenbrook H.S.

QUESTION: Any interest out there in my having a student type and draw the
mapping up on the computer and perhap post it as a .gif file ?? (For extra
credit, of course)

I appreciate Clarence Bennett's explanation of the domino red eye:

Had you used outdoor silde film under fluorescent lights, whites would
turn out green.
You used print film, and the processor operator corrected the color ballance
to turn the green to white.

At the eye portion of the picture was a specular reflection of the flash,
which was converted to red by the correction of the green.

Clarence

(I never heard of domino mosaics, but I guess I can figure out
what it means.)

If you access the picture, you will notice that the white board behind the
black dominos has a greenish tint to it. So the processor operator did not
completely correct for the green of the fluorescent light.

Here's hoping you enjoy the picture.

bye, DiRT

David R. Thiessen FUN + PHYSICS = PHUN
Science Department PHYSICS IS PHUN !!
Deerfield High School
1959 North Waukegan Road Education increases your freedom
Deerfield, IL 60015 Because It Increases Your Options !!
Home phone (815) 337-2883
School phone (708) 405-8488 Education will enrich your life
Voice Mail (708) 374-3811 then *610 Even if it doesn't enhance your income !!
School Fax (708) 945-0970
Remember when students brought teachers
Apples instead of driving them bananas ??

dthiessn@nslsilus.org (Quote sources long forgotten)