Re: digital oscilloscope, dispersion, TI-86, etc, etc...

I have both Digital Oscilloscope and the ULI. I use the digital
oscilloscope in its frequency meter mode for the speed with which I can
measure a pure or close to pure tone. For example I use tuning forks to
measure the speed of sound. My students can get the frequency almost
instantaneously using Digital Oscilloscope. The other use is for
continuous view of complex waveforms. Whereas Vernier's program takes a
"snapshot" of the sound and freezes it for analysis, Digital
Oscilloscope functions as a standard, low frequency oscilloscope.

Vernier's ULI and Sound is best used when you want to compare two or
more sounds. You can freeze up to 4 samples and display them at the same
time. In addition it has a very powerful analysis mode. The FFT function
is fantastic in showing harmonics and overtones of various instruments.
In fact last Thursday we played middle C on a violin, clarinet,
trombone, and bells, and compared them to middle C on a tuning fork. The
musicians in my class would like to develop a long term project of some
sorts using the FFT function.

So, it's not a case of either or. I would try to get both and have both
on the computer.

Ray Rogoway
Independence High
San Jose, CA