photo-gate...

I was wondering if someone could help me? I've been looking over
several science catalogs and I'm interested in getting a photogate for
strobe photography. They are rather pricey and I'm interested in making
one for myself. Has anyone tried doing this? Would you recommend a
sound activated photogate or one that requires an object to break a light
beam? Is there a way to integrate the two? Is there a way to adjust a
delay?
If anyone has ever made one, could you please contact me? I'm
interested on your thoughts, advice, and if you could plans on making
one.

Thanks,
Dwight Souder
dsouder@juno.com