Re: Induced E Fields in Solenoids

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Thanks to Gene for the response to my question. Is there any reason that
the circle has to be coaxial with the soleniod? If I choose a circle that
is not coaxial with the solenoid --- if for example it doesn't include the
axis of the solenoid, I could use Lenz's Law to make a case for an induced
current or E-field in the opposite direction.

I don't know if my posting on this appeared. In it I pointed out that
the E field must share the symmetry of the B field. No circle other
than a coaxial circle does so. If one picks an arbitrary circle, then
yet any other circle will do, including any circle that intersects
the first arbitrary circle in one point. Since this degree of
arbitrariness has been allowed, the direction of the E field at the
point of intersection is indeterminate; thus it must vanish! Only by
constraining the circles to be coaxial with the solenoid can we avoid
this possibility of intersecting circles and thus obtain a nontrivial
result.

Leigh

I understand that I can define the direction of the E field by
considering a loop in the solenoid coaxial with the solenoid and then use
Lenz's Law to find the direction of the induced current in the loop and
then use this direction as the direction of the E field. I will then
have defined the direction of the induced Electric Field at a specific
point in the solenoid. My real problem is this: I can now put a metal
loop in the solenoid that passes through that point and is not coaxial to
the solenoid in such a way that the induced current in that loop
(according to Lenz's Law) is opposite to the direction predicted by my
original coaxial loop. Does that mean that the current in this new loop
is opposite to the direction of the E field?> >