Re: superposition (fwd)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Donald,

I still don't understand what it even *means* to attempt a superposition
experiment when you are not controlling the placement of specific charges,
but rather the potentials of different regions.

Now I'm confused. I thought Herb Gottleib was suggesting something like
this:

An arrangement of two charges, +q and -q on the paper. I'd make them by
punching a small hole in the paper and affixing two washers and a bolt.
Measure the field at some points. Now add another washer and a bolt
somewhere connected to, say the - polarity and measure the field at the
same points. Now remove the other washer that was connected to - polarity
and measure the field at the same points. Make the apapropriate inferences
about superposition.

Is there a flaw in this? The situation is complicated because you must
always have at least one + and one - electrode on the paper. Also by the
fact that you can't carry it out with conductive paint. The only flaw in
my method is that you've made a small hole in the paper, which acts like a
small insulating region. But that shouldn't affect the field and
equipotentials measured at points well away from that point (a few cm).
And I don't think the paper boundaries will matter, for they are a
constant for all the cases, and you won't measure too near them anyway.

Seems to me you could do it with field measurements (the two-point probe I
described), or with potentials. Both are expected to superpose: fields
with vector superposition, potentials with scalar superposition.

For example, consider

1) a dipole formed from two charges Q and -Q

and

2) another dipole formed from two more charges of the same magnitude Q
and -Q placed at different locations.

How would you go about demonstrating the superposition of these fields
with the conductive paper? You're not going to try to tell me that you
will make the superposed case from four dots connected in pairs to
opposite terminals of the power supply, are you? If so consider these:

Case 1 Case 2 Superposition

+ + + +
.<- test point . .

- - - -

I think you'll get pretty close to the same E in each case here.

I suppose you would. How about:

+
- .
+

and

-
+ .
-

I think our communication problem may be that I'm thinking of
superposition of the fields and potentials. I wasn't at all
thinking of *charge* superposition, though that's obviously underlying
all this.

If you wanted to do something to demonstrate charge superpositon... Hmm.
Can we associate the charge of a conductive spot with its potential? If
so, we could have two spots, say +5 and -5 and another spot somewhere
attached to the slider of a rheostat connected between the terminals of
the power supply, so it could tap off any potential between +5 and -5.
Take it from there. Could use painted spots for this one.

Maybe you can give me a specific example which should work at least
approximately and which is not so dependent on wise choices as to call
into question the generality of the principle that you are trying to
demonstrate.

The two above may be what you want, John, off the top of my pointy head.
Of course, no one example establishes a principle, it only demonstrates
it's validity in particular instances.

In these cases, acceptance of the generality is heightened by measuring
fields and potentials over a variety of positions on the paper.

-- Donald