Junk Science Junk Telecast

Upon the advise of someone on this list I started to watch ABC TV's Junk
Science last night. I even stuck a tape in the VCR. After about 30
minutes I realized that this was a Junk Telecast about "junk science."
In my humble opinion ABC was guilty of almost everyone of the "sins"
that they were "exposing." Plus, the attitude of the reporter (a Geraldo
Rivera wanabee) was anything but "scientific." It was "talk show TV",
confrontational, designed to embarass the person being interview and
editted to slant ABC's way.

After watching Court TV for hours I am convinced that one can find an
"expert scientist" who will willingly go on national TV and tell the
person paying him or her what ever they want to hear. All ABC TV did was
to parade their hired guns infront of the public.

For example, there was no attempt to explain the reasons behind the
"cold fusion" episode. Instead the slant was these two researchers were
greedy quacks.

One of goals as a high school physics teacher is to train my students in
"critical listening." The tape of this show will be a good one to show
them as an example of what not to believe.

Ray Rogoway
Independence High School
San Jose, CA