Re: temp. calibration

At 12:03 PM 1/2/97 -0600, you wrote:
A biologist in our college wants to measure the temperature of ambient air
within a cave to monitor its effect on bats. I offered to do this for him
with Vernier temperature probes and a Texas Instrument CBL. We want to
calibrate the probes with a little more accuracy than we can get using the
freezing and boiling points of water. Does anyone know of any materials
whose melting and/or boiling points are in the vicinity of 15 C and whose
value is known well enough to provide calibration to within 0.2 C?
Jim Riley, Department of Physics
Drury College
900 N Benton Ave.
Springfield, MO 65802
e-mail: jriley@lib.drury.edu
Phone: (407) 873 7233

I'd be interested in hearing how repeatable your data is. We left the
original temperature probe in open air and made measurements every few
seconds until we accumulated 99 readings (the limit of the TI 82).
The range was more than 3 C deg(!) The readings were in no particular order
(not always rising or falling).

Did I miss something?
Bro. R.W.Harris (Voice) 617-323-7333
Catholic Memorial High School (fax) 617-325-0888
235 Baker Street email rwharris@k12.oit.umass.edu
West Roxbury MA 02132