Re: Calculus texts

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Hi all-
I've come to the conclusion that there are no calculus texts
the hew, even approximately, to the pedagogical lines laid out by Arons
for the teaching of introductory physics.

<snip>

My solution to this problem is to write a "decent" introductory
calculus text. The text would adhere to the principles of:

<snip>

Any suggestions?
Regards,
Jack

You might want to check out the Harvard Calculus Project before diving
whole-hog into your own calculus-reform effort. The folks at HCP - who number
university, junior-college, and high-school math teachers in their ranks - seem
to be the mathematical counterparts of the reform efforts in the physics
education community. They have worked on precalculus, calculus, and
multivariable calculus texts, emphasizing understanding at the expense of a
plethora of 'template' examples that can simply be parroted. Wiley is their
publisher. Their Web address is:

http://www.math.harvard.edu:80/~calculus/

Cheers,

Nick