Quarters to Semesters--BEWARE!

Moorhead State University after over 100 years of quarters made the
change to semesters last year The physics year-long sequence courses
proved to be easy to convert. Other courses underwent more radical changes, although
it was a good opportunity to review the curriculum and our goals.
Most of the faculty were in favor of the transition.
***There were unforeseen consequences though: the overall student
credit- hour enrollment dropped !!!!! Our enrollment dropped
approximately 3%. Most of the quarter courses were previously 4
quarter hours and students typically took a 4 course load. Under
semesters most all courses are 3 semester hours with
the assumption that the students would take a 5 course load more or
less. NOT SO !!!!! Students were used to 4 courses on the average
and were not willing to take 5 courses. In our second year of
semester we thought this might change, but so far there is no
indication. Now students will require more time to complete their degrees - which
is not viewed favorably. This phenomenon is also being observed at a
sister institution which made the switch this fall.

Gerald Hart
Physics/Astronomy Dept.
Moorhead State University
Moorhead, MN