Re: switching from quarters to semesters

We are a small private school so that our case may not be comparabale to
yours. We teach the calculus based physics class in two five credit
semesters. We used to have the standard
4 hours of lecture and two hours of lab per week but have changed to the
Workshop Physics format of two hours per day three days per week.

We have our physics majors take the course concurently with calculus as
freshmen. If we don't do that we find that we have a large loss to
chemistry and math during the freshman year before we even get a chance to
meet them. Our pre-engineers do the same thing. they are enrolled in a
dual degree program so must complete most of their graduation requirements
in three years. If they start as sophomores they can't finish in time.
Everyone else is recommended to take physics as a sophomore although many of
them postpone it until later.

Here in Utah the legislature recently mandated that all state institutions
of higher ed switch from quarters to semesters.

(snip)

It boils down to a question of when do we think they
should take the course. Should engineering students take physics as
freshmen concurrently with calculus or as sophmores after they've had
calculus? Are the answers any different for physics majors?

Please advise.

Thanks very much in advance,
Larry

Larry K. Smith | Not everything that counts
Dept. of Physics mailto:Larry.Smith@snow.edu | can be counted; and not
Snow College fax: (801) 283-6879 | everything that can be
150 College Ave. phone: (801) 283-4021 x232 | counted counts.
Ephraim, UT 84627 USA | Albert Einstein

Jim Riley, Department of Physics
Drury College
900 N Benton Ave.