a new nuclear option?

THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT TO MY "PRIVATE" ADDRESS. LET ME ANSWER IT IN "PUBLIC".
I AM AGAIN RESENDING IT; THE FIRST MESSAGE DID NOT BOUNCE TO ME. SORRY.

Tony Arrott has proposed a subcritical assembly. ... I don't recall
exactly what he wanted to do with it, but his intention was not a power
production unit. Nothing will come of his proposal because any rumor of
its existence in the outside world would generate antagonism and incur
a political cost.

I am not convinced that vitrification and disposal of high level waste
is impractical. It may be politically infeasible, but that may change in
time. I do believe that storage is infeasible. If there is no clear
intent to reprocess the waste then I think it should be disposed of.

Are you convinced that anthropogenic CO2 is responsible for global
warming or are you, as I am, really just an advocate of nuclear power as
a sane alternative to fossil fuel and hydroelectric power generation?

1. I do not know about the subcritical proposal that you mention. Can
somebody describe it for all of us?
2. Most people think that vitrification will slow the hydrological spread
of material in a geological repository (Yucca Mountain in Nevada).
Something has to be done with spent fuel and geological depository was
considered, until quite recently, the "least of all evils". We now
have a new option and it should be discussed.
3. Can somebody summarize the "atmospheric CO2 issue". I have to learn
more about this before answering your question.
4. Nuclear energy? I would prefer to go ahead without it but so far only
nuclear people have demonstrated an economical alternative to fossil fuel.
Can somebody summarize the current status of solar energy? What came
out of those projects which were widely advertised in 1970's and 80's?

One thing I forgot to add to my last summary. It is not true that hybrid
systems will destroy all unwanted radioactivity. The byproducts of nuclear
incineration will take about 500 years to reach the level of activity of
natural uranium. It is expected that about 50,000 years are needed to reach
the same level in a geological depository of unprocessed fuel. The difference
is significant and man-made containers (vitrification, canisters and cement
blocks) are likely to protect the biosphere for 500 years. Our recorded
history is only 5,000 years or so.

Ludwik Kowalski kowalskiL@alpha.montclair.edu