Re: Textbooks

Date: Thu, 12 Dec 96 14:18 EST
From: "Roger P. Menard" <RXM36@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
Subject: Textbooks

HELP! I need suggestions for a first year algebra/trig based physics
textbook. If possible, include the publisher. Thanks, Roger

A couple of month's back two South Africans wrote an article in The
Physics Teacher _Cedric Leder was one author. They talked about
some very successful use of Hewitt"s Conceptual Physics for
this course. They did some comparison testing with another
class using a popular calc-based text, examining students sometime
after the completion of the course. The conceputal group did very
well, much better than the group doing calc-based physics. I think
we have to ask do we want to cover material, or give students the
ability to retain something.
Don Boys, Physics
University of Michigan-Flint
303 E. Kearsley