Re: Laser light

William Beaty says:

Can anyone on phys-L poke holes in my reasoning? I'm convinced that
stimulated emission causes brighter light, not "in phase" light, and the
light-amplifying properties of lasing media is not the source of the
coherence of laser light.

Certainly the in-phase character of the stimulated light must be one
necessary condition to make "in phase" light. Otherwise, new phases would
be continually created, so the laser would never settle down to one phase.

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that the spatial (ie
transverse) coherence of laser light is due to the multiple mirror
bounces. What is your explanation for the temporal coherence?

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu