Re: Students and Tests - Kyle and business models

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Trappe wrote:

I view teaching as a "contract" whereby a "school", on the basis of
"enrollment" by a student commits to pay for specific "services"to be
delivered by an "instructor."

Because the tuition bill often reflects contributions other than that of
the student, I remind the students that their portion of control should not
exceed their contribution, ie, specifically, since the State taxpayers pay
for all but a small % of the costs, the student cannot justify "cutting"
class on someone else's money! And they are not too bright to cut class on
their OWN money!

Actually, a year at University is much more expensive to a student than
just tuition, books and living expenses. If you look at it as a part of
your lifetime income (which students likely won't) it comes to a lot more.
First of all there is a year of lost wages. In the short term this is a
year at a low salary, but all other things being equal it would be a year
shorter in earnings at the high end. That is, if your degree didn't make
much difference to your salary levels (which it may not if you don't
study and attend class!), you will still retire at 65 (or whatever), and
still start at the same salary, and progress through the same increments -
so your lifelong total will be decreased by one year worth of salary at
the high end. Furthermore, what about paying down a mortgage? You will
have one less year of "mortgage free" income. What about RRSP's?
Whatever contributions you make when you enter the workforce, every year
at school leads to you retiring short by approximately that amount plus
approximatley 30 years of compounded interest. - All very good reasons
why a student should work hard to get a job that will make up for the huge
longterm cost of going to school.

| Doug Craigen |
| |
| If you think Physics is no laughing matter, think again .... |
| http://cyberspc.mb.ca/~dcc/phys/humor.html |