Re: Students and Tests - Kyle and business models

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:51:11 -0500 kyle forinash said:
The sleaziest part of higher education is when we take money from
underprepared students and tell them they can make it when in fact they
cannnot (without more preperation). ...

I certainly agree and I loose a lot of sleep over this one. However, at the
same time, if we offer, but do not require courses which can provide what
the students need they try to avoid the courses because they won't count
toward graduation.

The main problem with thinking of education as a service industry is that I
can think of no other service where the quality of the service is almost
totally determined by the provider rather than the customer (no matter if
you think the customer is the student or the company that hires him or her,
or the tax payer). For better or worse, we, as "providers" set standards
and monitor our own quality. I really don't see how it can be otherwise.
Supposidly we are the most knowledgible about our particualr subject and
therefor best capable of determining what someone else (students) needs to
know about that subject and I don't see a way around that.

Lots of businesses run this way. Doctors, lawyers, utilities...