RE: Use of exams.

Two comments:
(1) I have found this policy on make-up exams to work pretty well (announced
on the syllabus)--a fairly liberal willingness to give make-up exams when
students have another test the same day, or must be off campus for something
official like a job interview or sports participation--but they must take
the exam before rather than after the scheduled exam. This cuts down on the
number of students taking make-up exams; it also discourages what I call
"deficit studying".
(2) Although I haven't experienced it myself, I know some teachers have had
to give separate untimed tests for students diagnosed with attention deficit
disorder (mandated by ADA). In many cases this is legitimate, but there is
also the possibility of abuse. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Martha Takats
Physics Department
Ursinus College
Collegeville, PA 19426