Re: galileo's "reprieve"

There is a publication called ORIGINS which publishes all official papal
utterances. This is no doubt available in most major libraries. Check the
issues nearest the date in question. I would offer to do it, but only get
to the monastery for lunch most days and have classes immediately before and
after. I'm not sure why the Powers that Be felt it necessary to resurrect
this dead horse, but JP2 is very interested in science (cf his recent
statement on evolution) and in reemphasizing the longstanding Catholic
position that true science and true theology do not conflict. MJ Clarke,
OSB.

Don Metz wrote:

Greetings,

Recently (in the last few years) the Roman Catholic church issued a
statement exonerating Galileo. Does anyone on the list know where I
can get a copy of the statement or perhaps point me to a reference to
the statement or its release?