Re: Gun barrel

Does the length of the barrel of the gun help determine the velocity
of the projectile?

Yes indeed, using the same cartridge, all other things also being equal,
the longer the barrel the higher the muzzle velocity. I'm sure that you
suspected that all along, and your physical intuition is correct. I
suspect that the angular speed of the bullet on emerging from a long
barrel is larger, too, but that might depend on the pitch of the rifling
(pitches vary considerably). Perhaps an expert out there can tell us
more.

Now is anyone going to answer my rail question? I'll see that student
again tomorrow.

Leigh