Re: Physics & Chemistry

Further, it can be shown that oxidation of iron takes place preferentially at
sites where the iron has been stressed. This can be as simple as a bend in an
iron nail.

Isn't that confounded by crazing of the surface? I don't think I would be
at all convinced that stress alone accounts for the difference, but I
don't know what the actual process is. Still, it seems to me that fresh
surface is exposed when one bends a nail, surface that is not protected
by as much oxide as has formed on the rest of the nail. Perhaps you could
demonstrate it on a seasoned bent nail?

Leigh