Re: communicating

Might we all agree that "quality of communication" is some kind of product
of "clarity of explanation" and "care in listening"? Thus, communication
*can* occur even when the explanation is lousy if the listener cares
enough and may not occur at *all* even with the clearest explanation if
the listener doesn't care.

When given a choice, I prefer to proffer clear explanations under the
assumption that it maximizes the likelihood of communication, however, I
have noticed that "understanding" (which may be a more rigorous
requirement than "communication") is often enhanced when the "clarity of
explanation" is poor probably because it requires *more* "care in
listening." Did I just hear someone in Boise suggest the word
"constructivism"?

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/