Re: Magnetic monopoles

Since we're talking about magnetic monopoles (or I hope we
will!)...is it true that magnetic monopoles are predicted by General
Relativity? My physics students asked me how that could be and I had to
plead ignorance.
No: Monopoles => quantization + e-B field +...=> QFT. Indeed, you'll
meet them in some SuperString theory.

No. Magnetic monopoles do appear in some particle physics theorties,
however, and there is room left for them in classical electrodynamics.
It is obvious that they can be added to Maxwell's equations. Quantum

But just in a ficticious manner, isn't it?, i.e., you may describe
the B field configuration of a permanent magnetic bar by means of
two distributions of opposite charged magnetic charges (sorry)
placed at the end faces ortogonal to the B direction at the center,
in a way similar to a charged capacitor. However that's only
a math tool...B-flux through any closed surface must still be zero.!

msantos@etse.urv.es