----------
From: Rauber, Joel Phys <RAUBERJ@mg.sdstate.edu>
I wonder why (and would like some discussion) being more inclusive makes
things different in the way Leigh was implying. I don't think that the
new
people we are now including are any less capable of self-motivation, hard

work and the positive student factors that Leigh was alluding to in
talking
about the student population of the fifties. Also I suspect, that the
categories that were included 3 decades ago are exhibiting the same
negative
factors now days that Leigh was mentioning. I think some the other
thoughts
that were mentioned is the real reason things are different. Perhaps
some
of those factors affect more negatively certain newly included groups
that
are now in our student population due to various socio-economic factors.