grist for the mill

I don't know that the effectiveness of Physics education has changed that
much since the 50s. My freshman class, in 1959, have 70 physics majors;
only six graduated with degrees in physics, and one had transferred from
Math. I really don't believe that the other 65 were all to dumb to
succeed in physics.
All other factors aside, physics instruction is still failing to reach an
unacceptably large number of capable students.

Students changing their major from what they established as a freshman,
isn't necessarily a sign of failure of the system or of the original major
department. Students come to a university and find that there are all sorts
of possibilities than what they imagined. So perhaps the anecdote is really
a sign of the success of the University system rather than a failure of the
Physics Department there. Those 65 simply may have found majors that they
enjoyed better and suited there life goals better than the Physics major
would've.

I sometimes think that a student that hasn't changed their major one or two
times in the course of university education probably hasn't done enough
exploring. In this regard I actually liked the policy my college had. You
weren't allowed to declare a major until the end of the sophmore year, i.e.
as a rising junior. I wish more schools would do this.

Just a thought or two.

Joel