Re: percent success

Richard W. Tarara wrote:

Ah, but now what comes into play is our own self-interest--Leigh's
evangelical zeal (but for practical rather that philosophical purposes).
Most physicists (whether in education or research) are PAID by those
taxpayers. It is in our own self-interest to keep those taxpayers
favorably inclined towards science and technology and with the current mood
shifting towards the negative in this regard, education becomes a major
tool for shoring up our own support. How best to 'educate' is still the
central question for this list.

Rick

----------
I will also add that the zeal to try to educate the general student so
that as taxpayers and government official they will make wise decisions
concerning science and technology has been going on for as long as I can
remember, and has been the justification given for getting more students
to take science courses. Have all of the new teaching innovations that
have been tried through the years made much of a difference?

Paraphrasing an old saying: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't
make him/her drink.

Well, maybe I can by filling the trough with beer, but is he a better
draft or ridding horse after drinking from this trough?

He does, however, go away feeling good about himself.

Roger Pruitt