RE: percent success

Hi all-
David Dockstader sez:
We've discussed the 5% that become physics majors and the 95% that don't, but
I think we also need to consider the 90+% of the total population that never
take a physics class at all. Clearly, we can't claim to serve them very well.
There must be some reason they avoid us. Word must be out on the street that
physics classes are bad news. Who put the word out and why? Do we care?
Can or should we do anything about it.
Along with David's question I would also ask:
What fraction of the population studies creative writing? Is
it big enough? What should be done about it if it is not big enough?
Is the ability to communicate in writing less important than physics?
Regards,
Jack