Re: Jackson on Jackson

Leigh writes:
What has changed since the fifties? In both undergrad and graduate school
while I was taking courses I always met with some of my classmates to get
*all* of the assigned problems completed. We recognized that the teacher
had assigned them because he wanted us to understand the material.

The problems that I did as an undergraduate in quantum chemistry
were not just to help me understand the material already presented. Often
there were NEW CONCEPTS embedded in the homework...so the problems were not
a method of reinforcement but of presentation. It is appropriate, if not
always necessary, for an instructor of some type to be there for this process.

What has changed since the fifties?

Well, I was BORN and so were most of our students! For me, that's a
pretty significant change. :-) Also, as I mentioned in my other recent
message, women have increasingly been a part of undergraduate and graduate
schools. They change the group dynamic, and improve it to my mind, but only
if they are allowed to participate.

Chris

-- Chris Clayton
(first year physical science teacher)