Re: Algorithm needed to convert a text string to a mathematical expression

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. Someone else set me some code and you were correct
about it being a formidable task.

Thanks again,

Bob Carlson

<< Bob: what you want is a good parser or better yet, once specifically
written for equations that your computer language supports. Writing your
own is a major programming project and assumes a good knowledge of B
trees and other computer science topics. I would first check with the
developer of your specific language compilier for existing equation
parsers. Failing that, I would look into some of the 3rd party general
parser programs available that support your language and then adapt that
parser to serve your purpose. These 3rd party tools are usually
advertised in Dr. Dobbs Programming Journal, MDJ (Microsoft's Developers
Journal) etc., all of which are available from the library or newsstand.
Trust me Bob - do anything you can to avoid writing your own.

Dave McClure >>