not so stupid!

Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 07:21:22 -0800
From: palmer@sfu.ca (Leigh Palmer)

Joel's comment about the child's response to a wristwatch reminded me
that I saw an absurd item at that yuppie mecca, REI, in the summer.
It's an ecologically sound, battery free, six pound, spring wound all
band TRANSISTOR RADIO! I can only assume it is for advanced backpackers
who, after lugging this monstrosity all day, still have the energy
necessary to wind it up. I just found it on p. 33 of the current
catalog. It sells for US$95. Yuppies will buy anything!

Leigh

This product sells very well and is greatly appreciated in many parts of
rural Africa, where there is no mains electricity and batteries are absurdly
expensive. Not so stupid at all!

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
UWCAd, Duino, Trieste, Italy.