web as ftp mode, was Energy Sucker

Richard Langer wrote:

Now we know that we can't use a Web Browser like Netscape to distribute
documents.

Actually, it does work. I take up the bandwidth of phys-l to show
everyone how as this solves a problem that I and others have had.
Keep reading for the physics content.

Often a university or commercial service will not allow anonymous
ftp, so if you want a colleague to grab a file you have to give out
your password. Bad, bad. But, if you have a web server, you can just
place the file there and give out the location. The recipient uses
the url with http, not ftp, like this:

http://www.badgerden.com/~gastineau/ecrossb2.ip

If you use this method you can distribute files using a browser and
without distributing your password.

Now, the obligatory physics content: the above url points to an
Interactive Physics 2.5 file that simulates the motion of a charged
particle in cross electric and magnetic fields. There's a twist:
there are three non-interacting particles, one moving at the proper
speed so the magnetic and electric forces balance, another too fast,
and another too slow. All are initially moving in the x direction.
Here's a question to ask before you run it--will the fast-proper-slow
x component order be maintained for all time? for all velocities?
Check it out.

I did create this in IP3 with a SVGA screen size, but saved in IP2.5
format. Smaller screens won't see everything. It should open in
IP2.5, but I can't test that.

JEG

--
John E. Gastineau