Re: forces

I personally think it would be hard to do this but your concerns are
well taken and the need for a longitudinal study, which you seem to
be suggesting, is apparant. My gut feeling is that a carefully chosen
set of topics that are well-understood will hang around a great deal
longer than a broad set of topics covered superficially.

That carefully chosen topics that are well-understood, etc. is a
straw-horse set up to knock down. No data in the world, I believe, will
support broad superficial coverage over in depth coverage. Perhaps you
have stated the problem--what are a basic set of topics that should be
covered?

Indeed. If one tries to be all things to all people, one ends up not
being anything to anybody. The chemists need some thermo, the
computer engineers need some quantum, the marine scientists need some
hydrodynamics, the biologists need . . . well, whatever it is that
biologists need. 8-) And, of course, we all want to give them the
benefit of a physicist's thinking on each topic. However, if all that
is piled on top of the essential Newtonian core, the pace is simply
too swift to allow absorption and integration on the part of the
student. For example, if we cover hydrodynamics we will really have
little time to do much beyond Archimedes' principle and the Bernoulli
effect. But a marine science student is going to take a full year
course in physical oceanography, a substantial amount of which is
taken up with hydrodynamics. Does it not make more sense to be
certain that the student has become really comfortable with the
essential ideas of force and energy? But then that makes it not a
straw-horse.

One of my students from last year recently commented to the physical
oceanography professor that he thought intro physics had really
helped him prepare for the class, not because he learned a lot about
hydrodynamics, but because he learned a great deal about how to tease
a problem apart and apply rigorous quantitative reasoning based upon
fundamental principles. If that is true, then I consider that I have
succeeded even though we never did a thing in hydrodynamics. The
detail can be provided by the people in his major department. I can't
do it all in one year.

Perhaps the success of these
programs taints my thinking, but I still ask the question. What is the
success rate of students in the technical areas as a result of these
"watered down" beginning courses?

Roger Pruitt

Having attended the Workshop Physics program this summer, I must
point out that it is hardly "watered down." What it *is* is
refocussed. Rather than being content-driven, the Workshop approach
is reasoning-driven. The content has been pared down to the essential
core (as they see it-- you could make some arguments here and there
but in general they have done a creditable job) in order to provide
room for exploration and investigation. In short, they are taught to
reason by being required to reason. But you cannot do that without
giving them some elbow room.

What we *can* say, I suppose, is two things: traditional approaches
(non-watered-down) are a dismal failure any way you wish to measure
them except for the fortunate few who would not have needed us
anyway. Secondly, at least in the short term, at least some of the
new approaches exhibit a great deal more success in terms of depth of
understanding as measured by such things as the Force & Motion
Conceptual Evaluation or the FCI. Whether that understanding persists
is, as you point out, quite another matter and deserving of study.
However, if it wasn't there to begin with, in the majority of the
students, then it has little chance of persisting.

What I find most curious is that all of the active learning-type
approaches make similar claims on this score despite a wide variety
of approaches to the material (and choices of how to pare it down). I
think this is very interesting and argues favorably for the idea that
active learning in and of itself, regardless of the specific content,
is a valuable and noteworthy approach and more nearly in keeping with
the ideal of a liberal education.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227