Re: force

The thing that troubles me is that we get so caught up in the algebra of
vectors and the idea of "rigid bodies" that we create the impression that a
body subject to two opposing forces that are equal in magnitude is the
same as a body that is subject to no force. It seems to me that it may
be the same kind of reasoning that causes the walkway in the Hyatt Hotel
of Kansas City to come crashing down!

W. Barlow Newbolt 540-463-8881 (telephone)
108 Parmly Hall 540-463-8884 (fax)
Washington and Lee University newbolt.w@fs.science.wlu.edu
Lexington, Virginia 24450 wnewbolt@liberty.uc.wlu.edu

"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the
zero adjust on his bathroom scale"
Arthur C. Clarke