Re: Demos, simulations, and activities for Modern Physics

I really like Brown's quantization experiment with nuts in match boxes.
-
Have you written it up?
Some questions immediately come to mind which range from the prosaic -
where so you get the match boxes- to the more complicated like how do
you get them to consider a new idea (discontinuity) which out telling
most of the answer.
How many boxes are needed to get a good distribution? How does it
work in the second year when the previous year's students supply
instructions?
-
An important pedagogic question. It seems to me that a lot of time
much of it running down the wrong path must be spent to get the most
out of the exercise. Are the results of the indepth study worth the
reduction in breath which must result (my personal impression is that
it is, but I know of many who would not agree with me, so I need
ammunition)
-
A suggestion - if three nuts are required for a unit - use a bigger
single nut.