Re: Double Bounce Demo

We bought several "AstroBlasters" which are similar to the double bounce
apparatus described by Stanley J. McCaslin: "a stack of, I believe, 5
drilled super balls, each smaller than the next, and a stick to keep them
together. They claim, and I don't doubt, a very spectacular bounce of the
top ball with a short drop."

The AstroBlasters we bought consist of four drilled balls on a rod. The cost
is about $4 from Fascinations, 18964 Des Moines Memorial Drive, Seattle,
Washington (800-544-0810). A couple of ours had slight defects (spheres
drilled off-center) but are nonetheless impressive.

The front of the card says: "Works just like a REAL super nova!" I'd be
interested in your opinion of the comments on the card by Stirling Colgate,
astrophysicist. In part he says: "The gravitational collapse of the dying
star is illustrated by the AstroBlaster's fall to the surface. The shock
wave accelerating outward through the star is illustrated by a wave of
increasing speed as the result of the impact which is felt by the lighter
balls nearer the top. The supernova explosion and release of cosmic rays is
illustrated by the rapid departure of the top ball at high speed."

Rosaline Secrest
Terre Haute South High School
Terre Haute, In