Re: Ancient Greece

...according to Carl Sagan in the COSMOS series, Aristothanes hired
someone to pace it out. I wonder if he got a grant from the library of
Alexandria to pay for it?

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html

I hope this request is consistent with the purpose of this list. A student
of
mine asked me about the early measurement of distances (the circumference of
the earth, distance from the earth to the moon and sun, etc.) I found that
in
the explaination the distance between two cities had to be known - I think
the
cities were Alexandria and Seyene. My question is - How did these people
measure the distance between Alexandria and Seyene? I think the distance was
said to be about 5000 stadia (about 500 miles). Thanks,
Frank

There is a discussion of this in Philip and Phylis Morrison's book "The
Ring of Truth" (the companion to the PBS series), pp. 116-117:

"The road distance south to Syene (called Aswan today) that
Eratosthenes used was almost certainly paced off by professionals for the
Egyptian state who walked between all important places. There is
historical evidence for such a craft; road distances are useful to planners
with military responsibilities for any good-sized kingdom."

Dennis

* Dennis E. Krause Phone:(413) 597-3306 *
* Department of Physics Fax: (413) 597-4116 *
* Williams College Dennis.E.Krause@williams.edu *
* Williamstown, MA 01267 *