The Coulomb

A chemist colleague asked me how the definition of the Coulomb unit
came to be. I know the "current" definition of the Coulomb is an AmpSec,
but how did that develop historically? Was there ever a time when an
amount of charge was considered 'fundamental' and the current 'derived'?
The AmpSec definition seems to me to be more conveniently reproduceable but
less intuitive than a standard based on an agreed-on amount of charge.

Any insights would be appreciated -

Nick

Nick Guilbert
The Peddie School