Re: Textbook Errors

Jim Green wrote:

So here I am reading Joule's paper on the mechanical equivalent of "heat"
where he says -- "The apparatus exhibited before the Association consisted
of a brass paddle-wheel working *horizontally* in a can of water..." And I
seem to remember diagrams in Serway (p 529) and in H&R (p 548) which purport
to be the Joule apparatus. But as I look I see the diagrams have *vertical*
shafts and H&R has this silly egg whip thing.

Somebody tell me why contemporary texts can't get it right. (:-@

So now I am left wondering just what the Joule apparatus was like! Anybody
know where there is an accurate picture???

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com

I would have assumed that a *horizontal* paddle wheel had the axis of
rotation oriented vertically. Mississippi river boats had vertical paddle
wheels, didn't they?

Roger