Re: Trig. on spreadsheets...

Leigh Palmer wrote:

Greetings! Our school computers (ibm compatibles) have MicroSoft
Works for Windows (version 3.1). I would like to have my students do
some of their labs on spreadsheets. One thing I discovered is that when
using sine, cosine, and tangent (or the inverses), I get the readings in
radian mode rather than degree mode. Is there a way to get it in degree
mode? We have been working with vector problems and I would like them to
turn in their lab papers that have been done on spreadsheets.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That's a very interesting problem. I couldn't find an easy fix in Excel,
a closely related application. If you can define your own functions (or
macros) perhaps you should write ones called "sine", "cosine", "arcsine",
etc. which would do the conversions for them transparently. They could
use those functions instead of the built-in functions.

Leigh

In Quattro Pro one uses the @degrees(X) command. In place of X put your
mathematical operation. Of course one can always convert an answer in radians
to degrees by multiplying by 180 and dividing by pi.

Roger