Mt. St. Helens and sound

Greetings! I was watching a documentary of the latest eruption
on Mt. St. Helens. They were interviewing one of the survivors from
(point zero) from the eruption who was a lumber jack on the side of the
mountain during the eruption. During the explosive eruption, people from
hundreds of miles away could hear the explosion. What really caught my
attention was that the lumberjacks that were ON the mountain did not hear
a thing! I tried looking up a reason as to why they wouldn't hear the
explosion, but with no luck. Does anyone have an explosion as to how
three lumberjacks that were on the volcano during the explosion did not
hear it where as others miles away could?

Thanks,
Dwight
dsouder@ashland.edu