Re: Why does it curl?

Which way *does* it curl? And is it related to the tippy top problem?

A curling stone curves in the same direction relative to its spin and
velocity as a curveball. It is melting and refreezing ice (called
"regelation") as it moves down the ice sheet. It is a complicated
system, but it looks simple. It is my opinion that it is unrelated to
the tippy top phenomenon since the stone does not precess, but I've
had no success with any other approach either.

Leigh

On the other hand, if one spins a sugar shaker or a cup along a table top
it curls in the opposite direction to a curling stone. It is seems to me that it
is due to differences in friction from the "slow" side to the "fast" side, but
there is more to it than the difference between static and dynamic friction. Any
explainations?

Paul