Re: .Bernoulli and curve balls.

Leigh
I think your traction explaination makes curve balls go the wrong way. If
viewed from the Goodyear (or Fuji) blimp a right handed pitcher throws a ball
with a counterclockwise spin, which breaks away from a right handed batter.

That was my point. The argument does not work. Though that is the correct
answer for tires, it is not the correct answer for curve balls. I must
not be writing very clearly if that did not come across.

Doesn't the traction model work for curling? I'd expect the leading edge to
bite into the ice while the trailing edge rides on a film of water.

No, it doesn't work. Curling stones curl like curve balls. Expectations
don't always make for good physics - unless you have a very well
developed intuition!

Leigh