Re: CBL/Motion Detectors

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Lowell Herr wrote:

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, David Dockstader wrote:

My motion detectors work fine. What specific problems are you having?
They don't work if you are too close and are more reliable with a reasonably
large object. Bodies and basketballs are almost foolproof. Ping pong balls
are tough. Baseballs and tennis balls are ok but you need to aim things
carefully.

I do not recommend new tennis balls as they tend to absorb the signal.
Golf balls work fine and smooth croquet balls are excellent. I have been
able to sense some very small objects - even a string of about 2 mm in
diameter but not all my detectors are this good.

Lowell Herr

The best success I've had for measuring "g" is to use a racquet ball ball
or a crickett ball. Smooth and round is important. The comment about
the string is super and I add that you should avoid twisted, multi
filament line. Plastic covered clothes line works great-smooth and round.
Charlie