One Person's meat is ...

A contributor to this list wrote:

I'm assuming that the "Reif" referred to in Leigh's comment (in
the context of a thermodynamics discussion) is F. Reif's _Statistical
and Thermal Physics_, a text I remember having in my junior-year stat
mech course. As a student, I HATED the book. Despised it. Loathed
it. It was opaque, unintelligible, and provided (to us students,
anyway) virtually no conceptual 'hooks' on which to hang the
mathematical details.

I had the opposite experience, I just LOVED Reif as a student. I found it
to be a clear and precise exposistion with interesting and challenging
problems to be worked, that illucidated the presentation with some nice real
world examples. (Incidently, I learned a lot of my probability knowledge
from the first chapter and the problems concerning card games, throwing dice
and coins etc.)

Later he writes:

dry, pedantic, and mind-numbing.
(I did have some texts that I really liked, works that provided a good
conceptual framework while expecting - and motivating - a great deal
of intellectual investment from their readers

For me Reif was the opposite of mind-numbing and did motivate a great deal
of intellectual investment for me; actually I have quite fond memories of
that book and the course I took with it.

Joel
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu