Re: What Flows?

Replying to a comment regarding starting where the students are, Jim
Green writes:

Spoken like a true constructionist. BUT note that the cartoons these
students are familiar with condones the idea of impetus. Do you want to
start their study of mechanics *there* and progress slowly to F=ma??? How
far back into the pre-dark-ages does one go tho start?? How much time does
one have for mythological physics?? In the college setting, there is not
enough time even for Serway as it is.

First, Jim it's "constructivist" not "constructionist."

Second, I'm itching to regale you with my research on the nature of the
conceptions and world view commitments that students bring with them to
the study of physics, but . . .

Third, my response to your question is that the students MUST start where
THEY are and I think it wise that we teachers meet them somewhat near
their starting line. Otherwise, we might never meet them at all!

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer