Re: What Flows?

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Dewey Dykstra, Jr. wrote:

I still have not heard how the dot product of a force and a displacement
can have the _same_ dimensions as the cross product of the two. We
differentiate between the multiplicative product and the quotient, why not
the dot and cross products?

Dewey,

Despite my earlier argument that torque and energy SHOULD not have the
same dimensions, it is simply a fact that they do given the convention
that angular displacements are dimensionless. The dimensions of both are
M L^2/T^2. Perhaps you are thinking of some other meaning for the word
"dimensions"?

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/