RE: Who are we helping...

Martha Takats says:

I'd much rather see them come in with enthusiasm, questions, and, most
important, experience with lots of different phenomena!

Most important, indeed. I would add that much of that experience should
have been had outside the classroom. I believe that a large number of
students don't think physics pertains to the real world. Students who
bring only previous physics and high school math knowledge to my classes
at university are, to say the least, cultural paupers. Life should be
prerequisite to physics.

Leigh