Re: What Flows?

Leigh Palmer says:

It seems to me that "thermal energy" must be connected somehow to heat.
To illustrate the problems with this arbitrary partition of energy let me
propose some questions and ask some more questions about the questions.

1. Take a quantity of gas in an insulated cylinder and allow it to expand
a factor of two. It will cool off, of course. By how much has its thermal
energy changed in this process?

What if instead you consider "thermal energy" to be connected somehow to
temperature? That actually seems to me to be the more direct connection;
'heat' only gets into the question by way of the colloquial usage where
heat=temperature.

Now does it seem strange that the expanding gas looses "thermal energy"
even with no heat tansfer?

Note: Not that I prefer "thermal energy" over "internal energy"
necessarily, but I have to admit that it seems more descriptive.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu