Re: What Flows?

transferred" -- that would be fine -- as in I transfer money from one bank
to another, but the money doesn't "flow" -- dollar bills don't move.

I agree that we ought to be careful not to use the same terms for different
things, but I'm just as confused as everyone else. If I can't use "flow"
for the fear that it implies a substance (although who said only material
can flow?), what CAN I use? I understand what you mean when you say that
dollar bills don't move from one bank to another, but they CAN, of course.
Also, I realize that the paper bills aren't the money, they just represent
the money. However, I don't think we would confuse anyone unnecessarily if
we asked asked, "Can I borrow $5 from you?", meaning, of course, I'd like
for you to hand me a piece of paper that has $5 engraved on it. In other
words, I don't have any money in my billfold--just paper representations of
it, but I'll go ahead and pretend it really IS money and call it that.

So I eagerly await the outcome of this discussion to see what language can
be used that will be UNAMBIGUOUSLY correct and we all can agree on it.

BTW, I was somewhat amused that some of you are willing to use the term
"heat" a body (as a verb). What does "heating" a body do? Make it "hotter?"
What does hotter mean? Higher temperature? Who says? I fear that we are
getting so embroiled in the fine points of terminology that we lose sight of
just what it is we are talking about. I think I already have!

Don't misunderstand me--I'm not criticizing the fact that we ought to be
very careful what words we use and I think JG has raised some intriguing
questions that ought to be addressed. I just hope we come out of this with
some sort of consensus.

Peace.

Van

Van E. Neie ven@physics.purdue.edu